At a friend’s birthday celebration in September her wonderful roommates put together a selection of filo dough ‘tarts’ with a range of toppings for every taste bud. I have become a little obsessed with making these tasty ‘tarts.’ They are SO simple and they dress up a dinner in seconds.
Here’s the scoop:
1. Gather your toppings. There are a variety of toppings that you can mix and match together. My favorite places for inspiration are restaurant menus, specifically restaurants that serve crostinis on the appetizer menu. Sprig and Fig n’ Olive are two great restaurants in New York City with amazing crostini topping ideas.
2. Prepare the filo dough. I usually buy packaged filo dough and keep them in the freezer. When I’m ready to use them I let them thaw until I can easily unfold the dough.
3. Brush the dough with olive oil. Using a pastry brush (this is adorable), gently coat both sides of the filo dough in olive oil and place it on a baking sheet.
4. Prep your ingredients. Most of your ingredients won’t need any prep work (besides chopping) but, for some added *yum* you might want to toast your nuts or pre-cook your zucchini. I’ve listed three different filo ‘tarts’ below and the pre-work for each one.
Option 1: Fig Jam, Prosciutto, Crumbled Goat Cheese, Pecans
*I lightly toasted the pecans with a little olive oil and salt
Option 2: Apples, Brie, Onions, Walnuts
* I caramelized the onions using a little bit of butter, salt, and pepper
* Like the pecans, I toasted the walnuts with a little salt
Option 3: Zucchini, Garlic, Parmesan
* I pan-fried the zucchini in olive oil with the garlic instead of putting the raw zucchini on the tart
5. Decorate your filo dough! I usually pre-cut the filo dough so when the finish product comes out of the onion its ready to serve. You can also keep the dough in one piece and cut it after.
6. Oven time. Place the baking sheets on the middle rung in the oven (which prevents the dough from being burnt on the bottom). The dough takes about 25 minutes to cook or until the edges of the dough are golden brown and flakey.
7. Remove and enjoy!